GOLD Prized for its beauty and versatility, gold is the classic setting for most jewelry. It’s also the most malleable of all metals — so soft it can’t be used for jewelry in its purest form. The standard measurement of gold is the karat. Pure gold is 24 karats, meaning 24 out of 24 parts are gold. To increase its strength, gold is combined with other metal alloys. For example, 18K gold is 18 parts gold and 6 parts other alloys; 14K gold is 14 parts gold and 10 parts other alloys. 10K gold is more durable, with 10 parts gold to 14 parts other alloys.
Alloys used with yellow gold include copper and silver. Rose gold is created by combining gold with large amounts of copper. When creating white gold, pure gold is combined with copper, zinc and nickel or palladium.
The most popular gold used in jewelry is 22K, 18K, 14K and 10K. The higher the number the more gold content but you also sacrifice durability. 18K and 14K are the top choices for quality and durability.
SILVER The difference between sterling silver and “solid” silver is the amount of silver in the item. Sterling silver consists of 92% silver, the remaining 8% is another alloy (usually copper). On sterling silverware or jewelry you will notice a stamp on the piece that reads 925 meaning 92%. Solid silver, also known as fine silver, is as close to 100% silver as you can get.
The reason we don't use fine silver for jewelry or eating ustensiles is because silver is a very “soft” metal, it doesn't hold up to the abuse that you put everyday items through very well. That's where sterling .925 silver comes in. Since the silver is mixed with other stronger metals it makes the item strong enough for everyday use.
Gold Plated : Gold Plating is a method of depositing a thin layer of gold onto the surface of another metal. Our jewels are made in brass, gold plated with 3 microns = 3/1000mm. The process to make gold-plating is electroplated.
Brass is one of the most popularly used metals for jewelry, partly due to its resemblance to gold. It has been used since its creation in making beautiful jewelry designs. Due to its affordability, workability and durability, brass is a very good choice for jewelry and is increasingly being used in the jewelry world.
How to take care of yours?
For the silver and the brass, just use a soft tissue or a soft toothbrush with lemon drops or bicarbonate of soda to make it shine.
As our hair jewels are not in contact with the skin, the speed at which the patina tends to disappear is very slow and will depend on the way in which the jewelry is cared for.
It is not recommended to wear jewelry when you are sleeping, swimming, or participating in sporting activities. Also avoid contact with perfumes, hairspray and make-up.The patina might tends to disappear over time. The speed at which this disappears is a normal phenomenon resulting from wear and tear.
- 3 microns gold-plated
- Sterling silver 925
- 14K solid gold (pre-orders only)
Store your jewelry separately in your Elna Organic Cotton Pouch.
Any questions, send us an email? email@example.com